About us

The group

 

Autostrade SpA changed its name to Atlantia in May 2007. Atlantia, a holding and portfolio strategy company in the sectors of infrastructure, mobility, and communications networks, controls 100% of the capital of Autostrade per l'Italia, the largest toll motorway construction and management concessionaire in Italy that, with its subsidiary concessionaires, is one of the leading operators in Europe.

Every day more than four million travellers use the network of Autostrade per l'Italia and its subsidiary concessionaires, generating total annual traffic for 2011 of 52 billion kilometres.

Listed on the Stock Exchange with a capitalisation of over € 8 billion, Atlantia is one of the major Italian companies with 2011 sales of € 3.976 billion, an EBITDA of € 2.385 billion and an operating cash flow of € 1.692 million.

 

History

Autostrade Concessioni e Costruzioni SpA was founded in 1950 by the IRI (Institute for Industrial Reconstruction). In 1956, an agreement was signed between ANAS (the Italian-government-owned National Autonomous Roads Corporation) and Autostrade in which the latter undertook to co-finance, build and manage the Autostrada del Sole between Milan and Naples, inaugurated in 1964.

 

This activity continued over time, leading to the formation in 1982 of the Autostrade Group that, with a network of over 3,000 km, manages 52% of the Italian motorway system, representing 17% of Europe's toll network and serving 15 Italian regions and 60 provinces.

 

In 1999, Autostrade was privatised. IRI, the principal shareholder since the company's creation, was replaced by a stable core of shareholders consisting of the group consortium, Edizione Holding, now Sintonia (Benetton Group), Acesa (now Abertis), the CRT Foundation, UniCredito and Assicurazioni Generali, through Schemaventotto which currently holds 50.1% of the capital. The remaining 49.9% is publicly traded.

 

During 2003, a new organisational structure designed to separate the concession business from non-motorway activities led to the establishment of Autostrade per l'Italia SpA, 100% owned by Autostrade SpA.

 

In 2007, as part of a restructuring designed to more clearly define the role and mission of Autostrade SpA and Autostrade per l'Italia SpA, Autostrade SpA assumed the new name "Atlantia" and the role of a holding company specialising in infrastructure, while maintaining full control of the sub-holding Autostrade per l'Italia, the parent company operating in the field of infrastructure under concession.

 

The new name Atlantia refers to the titan Atlas who, according to Greek mythology, was commanded by Zeus to support the weight of the sky and evokes the concepts of globality, strength, solidity and responsibility, perfectly reflecting the company's evolution towards an increasingly international point of view.

 

Atlantia was established to reflect the evolution of a group that operates not only on the Italian toll motorway network but also in infrastructure in a broader, more international sense.

 

Group structure